Article

Gunner Declares He’s Coming Back With A Bang

Kieron McLaren has declared he’ll be coming back “with a bang” when he attempts to get back to winning ways on fight night.

by BCB Insider

The home favourite will approach his next ring task in a “vicious” way, when he goes for pro victory No 13 on Friday the 13th.

He features on BCB Promotions’ first offering in Stoke-on-Trent for 2020, which will take place at the King’s Hall on Friday March 13.

The 26-year-old, who was born and bred in Stoke, is the most experienced campaigner to occupy the home corner on the card.

McLaren sees pro action for the 15th time with 12 victories, one draw and a loss on his ledger, which occurred in that order.

‘Gunner’ debuted in 2014 and went on a long winning run, racking up a dozen successes while completing four, six and eight rounds along the way.

That put him into a position for the English super lightweight title, facing former champion Lee Appleyard in an eliminator.

He went up to 10 rounds to tackle Appleyard and completed the distance, leaving the referee (Michael Alexander) to decide who prevailed.

The official scored the contest a 95-95 draw, so a stalemate was the verdict. No rematch was forthcoming, so McLaren dropped down a weight.

Another eliminator, for the English crown at lightweight, followed against Maxi Hughes, who is a two-time British title contender.

Hughes hurt him early on and kept pressing to score a TKO inside four rounds, McLaren’s undefeated streak ending in the process.

McLaren, who is coached by Danny Johnson, plans to remain at 135lbs, though, and believes he showed his mettle, even in defeat.

He said: “To be honest, I’ve learned more in the last two than I did over my 12 wins. It’s definitely changed me, as a fighter.

“To box Lee away from home, in his own backyard, and come away with a draw, most people in the boxing world will know what that result really should have been.

“Those who were there, a lot of them had me two to three rounds up, so I know that I gave a really good account of myself.

“That turned out to be my last time at super lightweight, I know what my division is now and I’m going to stay and settle at lightweight.

“Maybe I under-estimated Maxi’s power, a little bit, and he punished me with body shots which took a lot out of me.

“We both went for the same punch, in the first round, and he got there a split second before me with a straight back hand to the solar plexus. It took me a couple of rounds to recuperate.
“When the referee (John Latham) stopped it, he told I’d have gone out on my shield, if he hadn’t done something. He’s right, you’d have to kill me to get me out of there.

“I’ve proved I won’t give up and that I can dig in to deep places. Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise, because I haven’t got my ‘0’ to worry about anymore.

“You get an automatic ban (starting from 28 days, from the British Boxing Board of Control) for being stopped and I also got a bad cut above my right eye.

“I couldn’t get going again until the doctor passed me fit, so I’ve had a bit of a lull, but I’ve really enjoyed being back in the gym since then.

“I’ve got plenty left in me, I’m not scared of anyone and I’m looking forward to the future. 2020 is going to be a big year.

“I’m dead hungry to get in there now, I’m going to be coming back with a bang, because I’ll be a lot more vicious. I’ll be sharp and stinging my opponent.”


The show is SOLD OUT.

It will be streamed live on Fite.TV PPV. Click here to purchase for $9.99:

FITE TV

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s